The workspace is where you view and manage your digital documents.
5.1 Title Bar
The Title Bar heralds the application name Eco-Mail Document Management and displays a welcome message with the user’s name.
Individuals in the company can have access to a mailbox in EMX in addition to their company
email inbox. Since digital mail groups have been defined in EMX, you can have multiple group
mailboxes in addition to your individual mailbox.
5.3 Mailbox Folder Selector Panel
This table describes the controls available in this panel:
Mailbox Selector - Icon that lets you select from a list of mailboxes. One mailbox in EMX is your own.The other mailboxes, if any, belong to groups where you are a member
Refresh Button - Refresh Button. If the Document List or Document Counter does not
appear to update when you process or move a document, click the Refresh button
to refresh the browser display. Newly arrived unread documents, if any, are
displayed, and the document counter is updated.
Your name appears at the top and points to your individual mailbox folders in EMX. From here you
can select the mailbox of a mail group if you belong to one. Each mail group has its own mailbox
that contains mail only for that group.
The Mail Folder Selector Panel lets you select the mail folders you work with.
Each mailbox has three folders:
All digital mail addressed to you or your group are delivered to your Inbox folder(s). The Mailbox Selector enables selecting the Inbox that you want to display. The following are the
categories of mail in this folder:
— First class, a category of mail as defined by the US Postal Service.
— Standard class, a category of mail as defined by the US Postal Service.
Next to the Inbox folder is a count of unread documents. As soon as a document is read, the document count for that folder is reduced by one. The count can be zero even if the folder is “full.”
Whenever you forward a document or email a document, a copy of that document is stored in
the Sent Folder. The following are categories of sent mail:
— Forward, a category of mail sent to another user’s EMX inbox
— Request, a category of mail sent by special request
— Email, a category of mail sent via attachment to another user’s company email inbox
There is an option for you to send email to yourself.
The Trash Folder provides a mechanism for removing documents from your Inbox or Sent
You cannot empty the Trash Folder. The documents remain in the Trash until the retention
period expires. Upon expiration, EMX automatically removes the document from the system.
Prior to expiration, you can move documents in the Trash back to the Inbox and forward to
other EMX users or send to their company email accounts.
5.4 Document Selection Panel
This panel helps you select the document to open:
Figure 2. Document Selector Panel
This table describes the controls and indicators available in this panel:
Msgs Total - Count of Unread Documents. This counter displays the total number of available
unread documents in your or your group’s mailbox folder.
Folder Selection - The Folder Selector allows you to switch the Document List so that it displays the contents of a different mailbox folder.
Sort by Selector - The Sort by Selector allows you to sort the mail:
• Sort by Date: Sorts documents with newest date first
• Sort by Type: Sorts documents by mail type, with First Class mail displaying firs
• Sort by Group: Sorts by recipient Document Group. Currently, Mail Class is the
only Document Group.
(Mail Icon Closed) - Envelope shape indicates if the document has been read or not. If closed, indicates the document has not been read.
(Mail Icon Open) - If open, indicates that the document has been read.
Document List - The Document List displays the Document Type, Document Delivery Date, and
Tracking ID of each document in the currently selected document folder.
Tracking ID - See Tracking ID, page 12, for a detailed description.
Document Delivery Date - See Document Delivery Date, page 13, for a detailed description.
Search Text Field - This field lets you insert search criteria when you look for a particular document(s). The search criteria consist of the full or partial Tracking ID.
(Search Button)- This button lets you search for document(s) that meet the criteria set in the Search Text Field.
Document Reorder - By default, documents are displayed in order by date, with the most recent date first and older documents later. Click the Document Reorder button to change the Document List so that documents with the oldest date appear first, and newer documents further down.
(Load More)- lets you load more mail, if available, into the Document Selection Panel.
EMX tracks digital mail through the use of a Tracking ID.
Every piece of mail has a unique 21-character id printed directly or physically on the back of every envelope before or as it is scanned into Portable Document Format (PDF), the digital form used in EMX. This tracking id appears on the second page of document contents in the Document Viewer since the tracking id is the determining factor for processing a unit of mail. It is also used to identify the physical mail in storage, and to retrieve it upon request. The alphanumeric code represents the Tracking ID and is used to identify every document in the Document List.
The Tracking ID comprises:
• Positions 1-3 Represent the firm’s mail processing location, for example, SAT, OKC or NYC
• Positions 4-11 Processing date, in format YYYYMMDD
• Positions 12-15 Unique four-character retention identifier
• Positions 16-21 Sequential processing number 000001-999999 which helps Mail Services to store and retrieve physical mail.
Document Delivery Date
The Document Delivery Date is the date when the digitized form of the mail is first available to
EMX for processing. Nearly all of the time this should be the date the firm received it from USPS.
The Document Delivery Date follows the document through all processing actions, including moving the document to the Trash, routing the document to an individual or mail group, and processing requests to rescan, retrieve original physical mail, and reroute to the correct addressee. The date format is MON DD hh:mm (Month Day hour:minute).
5.5 Document View Panel
The main work is in the Document View Panel where you examine each document that you select.
The contents of a selected document are shown in the panel:
The controls in the Document View Panel are based on Acrobat Reader. Acrobat controls can
appear different in Internet Explorer. Figure 3 is from an EMX session in Firefox:
Figure 3. Controls in the Document View Panel
This table explains most of the controls:
- Selecting this object opens a panel of thumb nail views of pages in a selected mail
item in the Document Viewer. This enables you to skip to particular pages in the
mail item you want to examine. Selecting this a second time closes the panel.
- Text search tool in the Document Viewer
- Indicates the mail item page that is open for viewing in the Document Viewer
- In the Document Viewer, three tools for controlling the image size of the viewed item:
“+” increases image size when clicked.
“–“decreases image size when clicked.
Clicking 100% opens a list of options for specific image sizes.
- In the Document Viewer, provides a list of selections for specific image sizes
- In the Document Viewer, lets you print the selected document.
- Lets you open the selected document in a PDF reader
- Lets you open the selected mail item in a separate browser window, which you can
view at any size that your monitor supports
- Clicking this button provides these Acrobat Reader options:
5.6 Menu Bar
Figure 5. Menu Bar
- Email Button: This button initiates the process to send a document via company
email to an Active Directory individual or group.
- Forward Button: This button initiates the process to send a document to another EMX user.
- Trash Button: This button moves a document to Trash. For items in Trash, it is
replaced by the Move to Inbox button.
- Request Button: This button presents three (3) possible actions for the document being viewed. They are:
• Delivery of physical original
• Rescan document
• Wrong Addressee
- Move to Inbox Button. This button appears when the Trash folder is opened and allows you to move a document from the Trash folder to the Inbox.